Sunday, October 6, 2013

Creepy-Crawlies of PNG 3: Caterpillars and millipedes

I know, I know, caterpillars and millipedes are very different creatures. But I will be unscientific and class them together as "long, thin, many-legged little creatures," and then throw in a few pupae as well. 

These first few specimens are from Chimbu province in the Highlands. I've never been there myself, but one of the young men from our church took my camera up to his village and he took some great shots (thanks, Elijah!).





A few from our own garden:



Here are a few pupae, heading towards butterflyhood. I find these fascinating... the very process of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly inside of a motionless casing is mysterious, but so is the appearance of some of them. God is incredibly creative!

We've seen several of these in our backyard.
But I'm perplexed as to how those 1-inch bits
of sticks get on... Any ideas?
Another pupa, this one in Ukarumpa
(Eastern Highlands Province). Amazing
how it makes a net around itself!

And finally, a few millipedes...


No comments:

Post a Comment